This Exhibition was held in the summer of 1907, the idea being first mooted in 1903 after the successful International Exhibition held in Cork in 1902. Guarantors were requested from every section of the community and they eventually subscribed £155,000 to the fund to cover any possible financial loss.
The site chosen was Herbert Park, only one and a half miles from the city centre. It was presented to the Urban Council of Dublin by the Earl of Pembroke, K.P., one of the Vice-Presidents of the Exhibition. The Presentation was made on the coming of age of his son, Lord Herbert, and the grounds kept the name even after the Exhibition closed. The Executive Council was also able to obtain a short lease for several acres adjoining the park, altogether they had 52 acres available for the Exhibition. On another boundary of the Park were the grounds of the Royal Dublin Society where the famous Dublin Horse Show was held every August.
The building of the Exhibition was under the supervision of Messrs. Parry and Ross (Consulting Architects) and Messrs. Humphreys Ltd of London and Dublin (Building Constructors).
They built the main entrance in Ballsbridge, on the main tramway line into the City from Dalkey and on passing through this entrance the visitor found himself in the Celtic Court, the site of many exhibits concerned with the Industry of Ireland. The principle building was directly opposite the main entrance and consisted of a central octagonal domed court with four radiating wings. The court had a diameter of 215 feet and was caped by a dome that was approximately 150 feet from ground level. Each of the wings was 164 feet long and 80 feet wide. Around this building were grouped Pavilions for the British Colonial and Foreign exhibits. Other Pavilions contained Motor Cars, Electric Lighting, Gas Lighting, Irish Industries, Machinery and Power Houses. The Fine Art Gallery, which had all the latest refinments in fireproof construction and security, contained Modern Art from all over the world.
Apart from the technical achievements there were ample opportunities for amusement and refreshment. Visitors could listen to vocal and instrumental performances in the Concert Hall as well as trying out the delights of the Water Chute and Switchback!
The excellent Electric Tramway system ensured that the visitors could reach the Exhibition from any part of the city. It was also served by the Dublin, Wicklow and Waterford Railway.
The Exhibition was regarded as a great success in that it achieved its aims, which were to promote the Industries of Art and Science in Ireland by the display of the products of that country and also to promote and stimulate commercial development by inviting all countries to exhibit their goods.