INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION 1909
exhibition was opened by the Duke of Argyll on the 20th May, 1909, with its
probable aim being to emphasise the prominent position of Great Britain as one
of the worlds major powers. With the success of the Franco-British still fresh
in their memory, the organisers would have been unwise to make radical changes
and in fact the exhibits in the Halls and Palaces were similar to the previous
year. They did change the name of the Wood Lane Entrance to the Royal Entrance
but this went by almost unnoticed and the next year it reverted back to its
original name. A more significant change occurred in the Court of Arts where
the organisers had replaced one of the French exhibits with a Palace of Applied
Chemistry. In the Palace of Womens Work there was a rather gruesome exhibit
where patients, represented by wax figures, were each designed to represent
a separate disease.
Imperial Tower between the Court of Arts and the Elite Gardens had been completed,
following the trouble with its foundations, and formed a very dominant feature
in this central area. There were a few changes and additions to the amusement
section but probably the most remembered extra attraction was the Scottish Village.
This was sited between the Scenic Railway and Ballymaclinton Village and contained
all the usual ingredients that were necessary for an Exhibition Village; Highland
dress, Highland industries and Shetland ponies, placed alongside the Post Office
and souvenir shop made sure that the recipe was a success !
© Exhibition Study Group 2004