THE SCOTTISH EXHIBITION OF HISTORY, ART AND INDUSTRY - GLASGOW 1911

This Exhibition was on a smaller scale than the one held in Glasgow in 1901. One of its main objects was to raise money for the endowment of a Chair of Scottish History and Literature at the University.

This Exhibition came to be associated in the minds of most Glaswegians with beautiful weather, because except for the opening and closing days, it enjoyed magnificent weather. However, on the night of November 4th, a storm took the roofs off several of the leading buildings, including the Aviation Pavilion whose roof was carried into Park Terrace, and destroyed a wall in the Palace of History.

The main buildings were in Kelvingrove but the location was slightly different to the earlier Exhibition. Its breadth was merely from Kelvin Way to Gray Street but in the other direction it stretched from Souchihall Street to Gibson Street.

The central point was the Stewart Memorial in the Park and the architect set his major Palaces round this. The principal was the Palace of History and this was modelled on the Palace of Falkland. There were also Palaces for Industry, Fine Arts and Machinery. The magnificent Concert Hall could hold up to 3,000 people. In other parts of Kelvin Grove were set an old-world 'Scottish Toonie', a Highland Village, a Pavilion of Old Glasgow, a Garden Club and numerous sideshows. A Cavalcade of boats were assembled on the River Kelvin and they floated up and down the River Kelvin. The big attraction was the Aerial Railway and it was possible to make a circular trip from where the statue of Earl Roberts now stands, to the University grounds and back again. At some points it was 130 feet above the River Kelvin.

Military and Continental Bands played continuously in the Park and Concert Hall and there were such celebrated performers as the Blue Hungarian Band.

The Exhibition ran from 2nd May until 4th November and the total attendance was 9,400,000. A guarantee fund of 143,000 was set up but not called upon.

Site plan 

Exhibitions

© Exhibition Study Group 2004